Thursday 14 May 2020

Perfectionism - a BIG timewaster


After completing my SSCE in 1997, I left Benue for Kaduna. While in Kaduna, I heard our WAEC results were out and my dad was to collect mine.

So, when my dad came, I listed all the subjects and the corresponding grades I was expecting. This is because, anytime I am writing an exam, before I submit my script, I always do an imaginary marking based on what I have written (using the marks allotted for each question). This usually helps me to predict my score.

And to his surprise, I got exactly the grades I had calculated except for Physics, which I had put a Question Mark (?) instead. Phew! I didn’t waste my dad’s money after all. Well, I adopted the same strategy for JAMB and by my assessment, I was hoping to score ‘220’ but ended up getting ‘204’. 

I later got admission at ABU to study Metallurgical Engineering (although my 1st choice was Chemical Engineering and 2nd choice, Architecture). When I saw my name in the New Nigerian Newspaper with Metallurgy as the course I was offered, I was not happy. Truth is, I thought it was ‘Meteorology’.

“Chai! Na so I go come take dey tell people whether rain go fall tomorrow or not?” I sarcastically mumbled to myself. It was when I arrived the department that I realised it was Metallurgical Engineering (the study of metals). Thank God! An iron bender seemed a better consolation.

Well, in 100L (first semester), we were expected to take 14 courses. The workload was too much for me to handle. So, I developed a strategy where once I covered over 50% of a specific course, I would quickly move to another subject until I was prepared for all 14 modules.

My usual tactic during exams was to start with the questions I knew the answers very well. I would dissect the question as though I was writing a ‘For Dummies’ textbook in a bid to mesmerise the examiner. Afterwards, I will begin to look at which questions carried more marks and begin to attempt them. My ultimate aim was always to ensure that I got above 50%. That way, even if the invigilator shouted, “TIME’S UP!”, I will be confident of getting a pass.

Eventually, the dreaded first semester results were out.  That’s how we ran straight to department’s notice board. Lo and behold, I got C parallel (all Cs) with a GPA of 3.0. I was very thrilled because I got the result of the effort I had put in.

I applied the same concept for my MBA, MSc and PhD. In fact, during my PhD programme, I ensured my thesis was ‘good enough’ to merit the qualification before I submitted for the viva voce (oral exam). On the other hand, while my peers were busy dotting all the i’s and crossing all the t’s to ensure their thesis was ‘perfect’, I was busy dressing up for my graduation ceremony.

Going by my experience, I can say that there is no ‘perfect research’. Whatever you submit, it is highly likely that you will receive some corrections/criticisms from your supervisors and examiners. Just make sure it’s ‘good to go’ and use the feedback to make the recommended improvement(s).

Let me reiterate the consequences of perfectionism with this scenario. Imagine two students (A and B) are seated for a paper in an exam hall. A has answered 85% of the questions whereas B has only answered 60%. The invigilator shouts, “PEN DOWN!”. B submits but A carries on writing (in a bid) to score more. As he raises his head, he realises the invigilator is leaving the hall. He is now running to submit but the invigilator refuses to collect his paper. If this scenario were true, then A will score ‘zero’ while B, even if he scores 45%, he will still get a better grade.

Perfectionism can be a BIG timewaster and it is subjective. What is perfect to you may be imperfect to another. Once it’s okay, ‘na Carry Go be dat’. This is how I address perfectionism.

Many people struggle with different timewasters such as unnecessary interruptions, social media, procrastination, or failing to delegate. I would like to know which timewaster you struggled with and how you overcame it.


No comments:

Post a Comment